Print

Hello all,

After years of making minor revisions to how I present the "four questions" to ask when trying to understand a spelling, I have felt the need for a more substantial revision that I am keen to share in the hopes of getting feedback to see if there are further revisions to consider at the moment. 

First here is the one I've posted over and over in Real Spellers and my workshops etc...

Screen Shot 2015 09 07 at 1.36.15 PM

Below is a screne shot of the revised chart that I will start using until I find a better version. Download a pdf with the hot links HERE. I'm curious to see if people agree that this is an improvement and why!

Screen Shot 2015 09 07 at 1.41.33 PM

Many thanks to Gail Venable who has had a major influence on my thinking in many ways. In this case, over years, Gail has helped me see that my thinking was often too constrained by going in order from investigating morphological questions before consulting etymological information. As I look at this new chart, I see that it fails to highlight that not only is there not an order between questions #2 and #3 -- but that often the most productive path is a flipping back and forth between morphological and etymological information. Perhaps someone out there has an idea for communicating that point pithily!