Hello folks! Here’s a question from my Grade One class, that our homophonophilistic (did I get that right?) peers in California might be interested in.

 close close

See here the meandering fruits of a carpet conversation last week. We observed that <close> and <close> are written the same, and have separate meanings, but are pronounced differently. Clearly they do not fulfill the criteria for being homophones, but are they homographs when their pronunciation differs? As almost always happens, we had another example pop up in our reading almost simultaneously: <wind> and <wind>.  And then there are <read> and <read> (leading me to a question I’ve long had and need to investigate--why, when we lead, are we not noted to have lead?). Can you think of any others? Is there a separate term for these?