Real Spellers

English Makes Sense!
Here's one for you all. We were looking up move in the Word Searcher while working on a matrix. One of the words was "movie." We looked that up, and it said that it was from "moving picture." So it's a clip? If so, where does that <-ie> come from? We looked it up, and it doesn't seem to be a suffix, though there are plenty of other words that have it on the end -- bookie, bootie, cabbie, dearie, doggie, foodie, etc. Is it just a dimimuitive of some sort, the way <-y> is sometimes used? Or is it something else?

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet