Print

Here's a picture from our little conversation about the word "attracting", that Paiyton got stuck on in her reading a book about spring--the flowers were "attracting" the bees.  We figured it out, but she wasn't sure of the meaning, so we brought it to the group.  It was amazing to see them (not all, but many participating) as I prompted them to discern the structure and then think of what the base might be.  They were of course quick to spot the <ing> suffix, and then a couple kind of knew what <attract> meant.  "Can you think of any other words that share a piece of this word?"  <Subtract>!!  (We're in a subtraction block of learning right now).  <tractor>!!  And then we were in to the <sub> suffix.  I didn't want to get into a lot Latin at this point:  I just shared that this is a base that means "pull, or drag."  Then we explored how that meaning might apply to the words that we'd found:  how, in the story Paiyton had read, we now understood that the bees were kind of "pulled" toward the flowers--which made sense to the children "because of the nectar!"; and how the process of "subtraction" was kind of about pulling down or under.  Didn't take long, and I think I avoided belabouring it, but it was a cool experiment to see where the Ones could go.

Click to Enlarge

Here's another picture, from today.

The first two and last two words came up in reading with a group today, and the level of inquiry they were able to do was awesome--we then took it to the rest of the class to share and they pitched in.

<shiny> and <slippery> were great opportunities to reinforce the concept of vowel suffixes being the only ones to cause changes, that we had only really discovered earlier this week (see other attached photo of their sorting). It also allowed us to begin to see how we knew that the word could not be <shin + y>, though I kind of missed the opportunity to get at the doubling convention--oops! (Only two children knew the meaning of the word <shin>. <slippery> brought that in but also raised this question of whether a base could have two suffixes.

Then, check out two other (rhyming) words I said I'd pass along to you: <ocean> and <commotion>. The big question: what is making the /s/ sound in these words. For <ocean> Amr blurted out "the <c> with a little bit of <e>." For <commotion>, someone suggested "it is the <ti>". And then, by then end of the day, we were writing the words <addition> and <subtraction> and--hey! There's that sound again. Hmmm.

Very fun.

IMG_1855e