I'm trying to collect all of the spelling laws, along with examples and explanations, into one document. Would appreciate corrections and additions.

Spelling Laws

1. No English word is allowed to have an <i+i> letter string.
    1. The reason for this spelling law is that in old script <ii> would be easily confused with the letter <u>.
  2. No word can have the same letter three times in a row.
    1. One reason for this spelling law is that adding a suffix beginning with an <i> to a stem ending in <i> would create the <ii> combination, which could be confused for a <u>.
  3. Every spoken syllable of a word requires a vowel letter to represent it.
    1. This is why we use the <-es> suffix instead of the <-s> suffix in the matrix to build the word <packages>. The word <package> uses two syllables, and the word <packages> uses three. Thus we cannot add the suffix <-s>.  We need the plural suffix that has a vowel letter so that the new syllable is represented.
  4. Certain letter combinations are not allowed in words of complete English origin
    1. < uv >
    2. < uu >
  5. Certain letters are not allowed at the end of complete English words
    1. <i>
    2. <u> -- except <you>
    3. <v>
  6. < j > is not written at the end of a base element or segment; use < ge > instead. (The letter < j > is extremely rare even in the middle of a base element).
  7. Don’t write a double letter at the beginning of a word or base element.
  8. The letter < q > must always be followed by the letter < u > to form the consonantal digraph < qu >, except in <qwerty>. This < u > does not count as a vowel.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet