I'm working on a collection of word inquiry stories, and this is an excerpt from my first. I, like so many others, battle my tendency to turn to phonology first when working with a student (though I've gotten so much better!) See my description at the end of this paragraph about <sch->. What do you all think about this technique? I know it helps me, but I don't know if it helps anyone else or if it's misleading.

"On day four, Jemma's story plot became more refined and directed. The three sisters, Emma, Molly, and Ana, certainly didn’t want to move but their parents were adamant. She emphasized this with the line, “Packing was scheduled.” What an interesting word choice! And how excited I was to have a word like <scheduled> to analyze. Jemma predictably asked me how to spell it (because she knew I was willing to help with more complex spellings), so I explained that the first part was represented by <sch> just like in the word <school>. (Sometimes I give a phonologically analogous word as a means to implant the grapheme in the memory. I don’t know what the research would say about this practice, but I know that having schema for a new concept certainly helps me.)"

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet