Hey Real Spellers!

I've been helping my daughter Jess make use of a spelling list from school. Her teacher is happy for me to just pick words from the list that Jess an I can investigate and not worry about studying a long list of unrelated words.

Anyway, one set of words grabbed my attention. They presneted the homophone pair <counsel> and <counsel> and it got us thinking. 

I don't know a suffix <-il> off hand, but I do know there are <-el> suffixes, so we started our investigation assuming that these might be from separate bases. 

My Mactionary gave us this information on the etymology of <counsel>:

ORIGIN Middle English : via Old French counseil (noun), conseiller (verb), from Latin consilium ‘consultation, advice,’ related to consulere (seeconsult ). Compare with council .

And for <council> 

ORIGIN Old English (in the sense [ecclesiastical assembly] ): from Anglo-Norman French cuncile, from Latin concilium ‘convocation, assembly,’from con- ‘together’ + calare ‘summon.’ Compare with counsel .

We are interested that each word points to the other. 

One clue we see for remembering the spelling of <counsel> is the spelling connection to <consult> (both share the <s>) but we would be grateful for any insight the group out there has to help us think more precisely about these spelling/meanings.

Cheers,

Pete

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet