Hey Realspellers,

I have been trying to get my mind around the spellings of a few words and I'm having trouble with accounting for the letters in them. I was wondering if anyone of you wonderful realspellers can help me out. I am still at the elementary level.  Why are the following words spelled the way they are in English: come, some, none, done, and gone? Why the presence of the single silent e at the end? So far I understand that with regard to come and some which were written in Old English as cum and sum respectively, there was a substitution of the letter o for u in front of the letter m (which was a minim). What I don't understand is the presence of the non-syllabic e at the end if it does not signlal a change in pronunciation? Was there a rule that required the addition of the single silent e at the end after a vowel switch? I think the same principle might be at work in none, done, and gone as well. It's interesting to note that all the above words appear on every sight words list that I have seen. These are all supposed to taught as 'irregular' spelling which have come to us from Old English.

Any ideas or insights?

Thanks.

Felicia

Comments (1)

1. Brenda S. Mackaness

Would like to find the answers to the above questions about the silent e - added to make a lexical word? Is 'ne' a suffix for do and go denoting past tense?

Attachments

There are no comments posted here yet