Hi All,

As I brush up my skills and confidence in word inquiry, I truly appreciate your feedback on my inquiries.  Our school is celebrating Mother Tongue Day on February 15th. As part of the activities we will be inquiring into the word <communicator>. Not only does it lend itself to the day, but it is also one of our Learner Profiles.  Our goal is to inquire into all the learner profiles.  I have started the inquiry so teachers have scaffolding.  I still do not feel confident about the phoneme component.  I appreciate any feedback from anyone about their thoughts.

Thanks, in advance.

<communicator>

Investigate with these questions

1.What does it mean? (origin/ history/ etymology)

1. a. http://www.etymonline.com/
    Originated in the early 16 Century – from latin <communicat> meaning shared, from the verb <communicare> and from <communis> (common)

Connections to <commune> also connected to <communis>  (common)
Meaning- one who shares information, news or ideas

1. 2. How is it built?
    1. a. Can you peel off any prefixes or suffixes?

–ic,–ate and –or are suffixes

1. What is the base? <commune>
  2. c. Is there more than one base?
    NO
    Word Sum
    commune/ + ic + ate/ + or -->
     communicator

3.What are its relatives?

a.Use the word searcher to help you.http://www.neilramsden.co.uk/spelling/searcher/index.html 

Using the word searcher- I found 38 words that share the base
commune, communal, communed, communes, communing, communion, communism, communist, community, communally, communions, communique,communists, communicant, communicate,communiques, communities, communicable, communicants, communicated, communicates, communicator, communicating, communication, communicative, communicators, excommunicate, incommunicado, communications, excommunicated, excommunicates, excommunicating, excommunication, uncommunicative, excommunications, telecommunication, intercommunication, telecommunications

4.What are the sounds that matter?

1. a. What Grapheme/phoneme correspondences can you identify

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet