I only have time for a quick post, so here is the information I have collected thus far:

I  started with the word <periodical>.  It seemed that a possible base was <od> based on the Gk. “hodos”.  But then there is the spelling issue of adding vowel suffixes in multisyllabic words with emphasis on the base element in the new word.  So would it be twin bases <od> and <ode> so that we can get <peri-> + <od> ………<period>  and  <peri-> + <ode> + <ic> …….. <periodic>?

<synod> and its variants  work with <od>/<ode>, but <method> made me wonder quite a bit! 

<met-> is an attested prefix alternative to <meta->, but <meth-> is only attested for chemical compounds, I THINK.  I considered another set of twin bases <hod> and <hode>…but I then realized that I don’t want the digraph <th> to cross a morphemic boundary!  So, that leaves either <meth-> as a prefix, and I should write the Oxford scholars and ask them to add it to their dictionary as an alternative to <met->, OR I will just put it with its own set of twin bases, <method> and <methode>.

I would love some feedback on this. 

Erin

From etymonline.com:

method

1540s, from M.Fr. methode, from L. methodus "way of teaching or going," from Gk. methodus "scientific inquiry, method of inquiry," originally "pursuit, following after," from meta- "after" (see meta-) + hodos "a traveling, way" (see cede). In reference to a theory of acting associated with Russian director Konstantin Stanislavsky, it is attested from 1923.

period

early 15c., "course or extent of time," from M.L. periodus "recurring portion, cycle," from L. periodus "a complete sentence," also "cycle of the Greek games," from Gk. periodos "rounded sentence, cycle, circuit, period of time," lit. "going around," from peri- "around" (see peri-) + hodos "a going, way, journey" (see cede). Sense of "repeated cycle of events" led to that of "interval of time." Meaning "dot marking end of a sentence" first recorded c.1600, from similar use in M.L. Sense of "menstruation" dates from 1822. Educational sense of "portion of time set apart for a lesson" is from 1876. Sporting sense attested from 1898.

synod

late 14c., "ecclesiastical council," from L.L. synodus, from Gk. synodos "assembly, meeting, conjunction of planets," from syn- "together" + hodos "a going, a way" (see cede). Used by Presbyterians for "assembly of ministers and other elders" from 1593 to c.1920, when replaced by General Council.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet