Okay, I KNOW that I am supposed to use angle brackets for spellings, but I am having a horrible time with the new website, and whenever I try to make them bold so that they don’t disappear, I get kicked to a blank page. So, please bear with my quotes until I get this worked out.

I have been pondering the doubling rule as it applies to suffixes beginning with the letter “<i>”.

It seems to me that the doubling rules usually applies to “<ing>” and “<ish>”. I know “<ing>” is listed in the rule. But is seems that “<ish>” is usually doubled, too. So, I thing that perhaps it is because they are Old English suffixes, while many of the other “<i>-suffixes” come from Latin, and were often added originally in Latin.

So, it seems that one of the following is true: (a) only Old English suffixes double, (b) some of those “<i>’s” are actually connecting vowels, (c) there is no pattern or reason, or (d) I don’t know enough to figure it out.

Given what I have learned, I doubt that it is (c) because there is usually a reason. I think (d) is definitely true! But maybe there is something to (a) and (b).

So, this is a plea for help to anyone out there who has made any interesting discoveries related to the doubling rule and suffixes beginning with “<i>.” Please share so that I can once again sleep at night!

Kris

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet