Hello all,

One of my hopes for this forum on Real Spellers is that teachers who develop lesson ideas that they find useful would share them so that others can see ways their colleagues are exploring ideas for spelling instruction while in the process of re-learning about English spelling at the same time. 

I'm not sure of the best way to get this started, so in the spirit I often recommend to teachers, I'm just going to start! I hope members of our community will help shape the best way to share resources and share the revisions and ideas that we get by working with our colleagues ideas. 

I'm starting this post with a few lessons from friends who are working with young students so the resources here had kindergarten or maybe Grade 1 or 2 students in mind. 

Click this link for the first document I'm sharing from my freind Aviva Wasserman in Nashville Tennessee! This pdf has a series of actiities that could help teachers with ideas of how to start structured word inquiry type instruction in Kindergarten. It includes oral and written activities. One of the activities is called "Cats and Dogs" that uses a board game type document to help teach the fact that the <s> grapheme is a way of writing /s/ or /z/. Click here for that "board game" document shown below. 

cats and dogs board

Click here for another teacher at Aviava's school. Christy Plummer, is kindly sharing this excellent lesson she calls "I Can Jump" that provides a detailed description of a way to teach morphology to young children. An image of the first page of this lesson shows that she includes images from the lesson. 

I Can Jump lesson image

One common factor to these lessons that i think is essential for such lessons is that the invite the teacher to use the same structures presented to other words and contexts. 

If you make use of these lessons, I hope you will add a comment to this post thanking the authors who are sharing them. Ideally you will find a way to reimagine their ideas into new lessons that you can share too. We'd love to see pictures etc. from the work that results. If you have any difficulty posting comments, or images, please contact me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or the Real Spellers guru Matt Berman This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

I have some other lessons and documents in in line ready to post that I will add soon. If you have something you want to share please do! Many teachers out there are not in a situation where they have other colleagues working with this instruction. Real Spellers offers a way to turn the world into our classroom. This first set of lessons comes from Nashville. The next post will have work from Indonesia! 

Cheers,

Pete

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet