I've been through some of the resources on the WordWork website and I have one question.

I'll use the word 'please' as an example. THRASS would teach this word p--l--ea--se which shows the /s/ at the end of this word is represented by a 'se' grapheme. I noticed the 'please' in 'pleasure' on the "Constructing Word Sums" pdf on the website breaks the word p--l--ea--s--e hence calling the last grapheme a single, silent <e> and enabling it to be dropped when the vowel suffix -ure is added. My problem is... does every grapheme have to represent a single phoneme and if so would not the /s/ in 'please' end in a digraph 'se'. Any help with this problem would be appreciated. I've been teaching kids there are no silent letters, they all are represented in the last phoneme of a word and I need to stop if this isn't true. How do you think best to approach this?

I hope this makes sense.

I have purchased the '70 matrices' resource and am going to see if my school will get the TBox 2 for me to trial in my class and then hopefully I'll get all our primary classes on board.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet